Delhi Woman Death: Teacher, 35, headed for family holiday electrocuted at New Delhi railway station | Delhi News



NEW DELHI: A 35-year-old teacher headed for a family vacation was electrocuted at New Delhi railway station Sunday as she reportedly clutched at an electric pole for support in a waterlogged area. Auto and cab drivers rushed to rescue Sakshi Ahuja but she couldn’t be saved.
Her sister too received a shock in efforts to rescue her. Ahuja’s 9-year-old son and 7-year-old daughter, who were standing next to her, were saved just in time.
“A case under IPC sections of causing death due to negligence and negligent conduct pertaining to machinery (287) has been registered,” DCP (railways) Apoorva Gupta said.Capital shocker: How a young life was snuffed out in a few minutes
Ahuja, a resident of Preet Vihar in east Delhi, taught at a school in Laxmi Nagar and was also an architect. She had come to the station around 5.30am with her family to take the Vande Bharat Express to Chandigarh. There was waterlogging outside the railway station and initial probe suggests she grabbed the pole to avoid slipping in the water and got electrocuted. However, her family members said she had stepped into a puddle and was electrocuted.

delhi station electrocution

The incident took place around 5.40am. Ahuja’s parents and brother were parking the car while she had headed for the platform with her sister and the children. The spot where she was electrocuted is a parking lot for taxis.
“We were going to Chandigarh for a vacation. I was in the parking area when I received news that my daughter had died due to electrocution. This has happened due to the negligence of the authorities,” said Lokesh Kumar Chopra. Ankit Ahuja, the victim’s husband, said multiple departments are liable for the accident. “There is negligence on the part of senior officials. Railway department officials came to meet us and assured us that an inquiry is going on,” he said.

Police said they received information about a woman having received a shock from an electric pole, at ‘PG side’ near Exit-1 of the station. Witnesses said they heard the woman scream and saw her trying to move away from the pole before she collapsed. Her sister, Madhvi Chopra, cried for help and a passerby called the PCR.
Ahuja’s family members claimed that she lay on the ground for 20-25 minutes before some taxi and auto drivers came to help. “Taxi and auto drivers pulled her children while Madhvi could do little as she too received electric shock,” said Indu, a relative. “A few taxi drivers were also affected. Later, they brought bedsheets, towels and sticks to push Sakshi. She was taken to hospital in a taxi.”
The family claimed that despite the police station being only a few metres away from the spot, no one came to help in time. DCP Gupta, however, denied the allegations and said a team reached the spot immediately and took the victim the hospital. The postmortem is being done at Lady Harding Hospital. “A probe is under way,” a senior officer said.
Investigation has revealed that at the accident spot, there is a high-mast light and open wiring for two signage poles. Wiring for recently installed poles also goes through the same route. Police have obtained footage of CCTV cameras from the scene of crime. They will be sending notice to officials of the maintenance department of the station to join the investigation. “Strict action will be taken against those responsible,” a top officer said.


Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *